IMSE Intermediate Orton-Gillingham Training (30 hours)
The IMSE Intermediate training provides participants with an understanding of IMSE’s Orton-Gillingham methodology specifically designed for upper elementary or older students who require foundational reading skills and continue to struggle in literacy development. Participants will learn how to teach advanced spelling rules, encoding/decoding with seven-syllable types, morphology, and vocabulary. This course offers more of an in-depth study on orthography (advanced spelling rules) and morphology (affixes, Greek/Latin bases) for struggling students but will include some phonics as well. This approach can be incorporated into an already existing literacy program. *See note below about overlap between the Comprehensive and Intermediate courses. The Intermediate course is primarily geared towards upper elementary-aged students and/or students who lack a basic knowledge of orthography, morphology, and vocabulary. This course is applicable for all three tiers of RTI.
This course comes with a FULL YEAR of access to our Refresher course, available on Vitrium.
This course is appropriate for:
- 3-5 General Education
- 3-12 Special Education, Remedial, Tutors
- ELL Educators
- Speech-Language Therapists who want to expand their knowledge in literacy
- Adult Literacy Educators
- Anyone else who wants to expand their knowledge in orthography and morphology
Participants will learn:
- Higher-level spelling rules
- Syllabication patterns for encoding and decoding
- Morphology- affixes, Latin, and Greek bases
- Guidelines for weekly lesson plans
- IMSE Intermediate Training Manual
- Unlocking Literacy by Marcia Henry
- Vocabulary Handbook by Diamond and Gutlohn
- IMSE Encoding and Decoding Teacher Guide and Student Workbook
- IMSE Morphology Card Pack
- 3 week trial of IOG (available for purchase after trial)
- IMSE Writing and Grammar video course (digital access provided)
Materials you will need:
- Computer with a camera and sound (an iPhone/iPad or similar devices are not recommended)
- 5 highlighters (yellow, green, pink, purple, blue)
- Red pencil/crayon
- Sticky notes
Notes for Virtual Trainings:
- IMSE Tech support is available Monday-Friday, 9 AM - 5 PM, EST
- Virtual trainings are run via Zoom. You must create a Zoom account with the email you used to register to access your training. Once your order is paid for, you will receive an email with information to access your training via Zoom. The link to join the Zoom will also be available in your IMSE.com account under "My Trainings." Please follow the directions to avoid a late start on the first day of training.
- If you are using a Chromebook, you must get the Chromebook app to participate in polls and break out rooms. If you aren’t able to participate, you may be required to submit additional homework.
- There will be opportunities for questions with your instructor and opportunities for you to partner with others in the class via FaceTime, Google Hangouts, etc.
- Graduate credits are available for virtual trainings through Ashland University or Adam State University.
- Training supplies will be shipped directly to you. You must submit your desired shipping location at checkout.
*Regarding the Comprehensive and Intermediate courses, participants do not have to take one before the other. Participants can take the course that best fits their needs. If desired, participants can also take both courses. The primary areas of focus in the Comprehensive course include phonological awareness, phonics, and encoding/decoding. The primary focus areas in the Intermediate course are orthography, encoding/decoding, morphology, and vocabulary. Please know that encoding/decoding (which includes word/sentence dictation, 7 syllable types, 4 syllable patterns, and red words) is taught in both courses for people who choose to take both courses. The Intermediate course focuses on how to teach these concepts to older students, whereas the Comprehensive course focuses on how to teach concepts to younger students. Please note that while the Intermediate course reviews some content covered in the Comprehensive course, the Intermediate course will provide participants a deeper understanding of the material.
Monday-Friday 8:00-3:30 EST
Day 1 of your training- please login by 7:00 am to ensure that you do not have any tech problems. You will be placed in a waiting room until 8:00 am.
-Your instructor will discuss how breaks and lunch will fit into your days.
-Plan on 6 hours of instruction per day, which will include your video submissions.
Register For This Course
If you cancel prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $50 cancellation fee. If you cancel 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
There is no fee for transferring your registration to another training if you transfer before 14 days prior to a training. If you transfer your training 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
If a participant needs to make up more than one day of training, there will be a $100 charge.
The Institute for Multi-Sensory Education reserves the right to cancel. If IMSE must cancel, 100% of the training fee will be refunded.