IMSE Introductory Orton-Gillingham Training (18-Hours) - The Course Attended Virtually using Zoom
This course is an important introduction to the principles of IMSE's enhanced Orton-Gillingham method, comprised of the first three days of IMSE's Comprehensive Training. After participating in this training, teachers will be able to master the fundamentals of phonological awareness and phonics through explicit, systematic, sequential, multi-sensory instruction.This course is applicable for all three tiers of RTI.
This course is appropriate for:
- Phonemic awareness
- Multi-sensory strategies for reading, writing and spelling (phonetic and non-phonetic words)
- Syllabication patterns for decoding and encoding
- Student assessment
- IMSE Comprehensive Training and Assessment Manual
Recipe for Reading by Bloom and Traub
- IMSE Comprehensive Syllable Division Word Book
- Phonological Awareness: Assessment Tools & Strategies by Zgonc
- IMSE Phoneme Grapheme Card Pack
- IMSE Syllable Division Cards
- IMSE Decodable Readers Set One (pdf)
- Blending Board (item shipped separately, not necessary for completing training)
IMSE Interactive OG (online lesson planning tool) One-year subscription (additional years will require a renewal fee)
Materials you will need:
- Computer with a camera and sound (an iPhone/iPad or similar devices are not recommended)
- Red and green crayon
- 3-4 highlighters
- Sticky notes
- Pen and notebook
- Glue, tape, or staples
Notes for Virtual Trainings:
- IMPORTANT: Virtual trainings are run via ZOOM. You must create a ZOOM account with the email you used to register in order to access your training. You will receive an email from IMSE with important information the Thursday before your training begins. If you do not receive it, please check your spam. Please follow the directions in order to avoid a late start on the first day of training.
- If you are using a Chromebook, you must get the app for Chromebook in order to participate in polls and break out rooms. If you aren’t able to participate, you may be required to submit additional homework. If you do not have administrative access to download apps on your Chromebook, you may want to discuss with your school’s IT prior to the meeting. Here is a link: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/213298746-Getting-Started-On-Chrome-OS. Using Chromebook for ZOOM is not ideal, but manageable.
- There will be opportunities for questions with your instructor and opportunities for you to do partner work with others in the class via FaceTime, Google Hangouts, etc.
- IMSE is keeping Virtual Training class sizes small (around 30 people or less), so participants will be able to form connections with the instructor and other participants
- Since there will not be an opportunity to practice face-to-face, you will be required to submit a short 10-minute video of yourself practicing what you learned each day. You will create and share a folder on Google Driver, then upload the video to the folder each day. Daily readings and Learning Outcomes will also be submitted.
- Graduate credits are available for virtual trainings through Ashland University or Adam State University
- Training supplies will be shipped directly to you. It is important that your desired shipping location is submitted at checkout.
Upon completing the virtual training you will receive:
- IOG for two calendar years
- Access to the IMSE Online Refresher video for one calendar year
- 30-Hour Certificate as long as all videos and Learning Outcomes are submitted
IMSE OG Weekly
Register For This Course
If you cancel prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $50 cancellation fee. If you cancel 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
There is no fee for transferring your registration to another training if you transfer before 14 days prior to a training. If you transfer your training 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
If a participant needs to make up more than one day of training, there will be a $100 charge.
The Institute for Multi-Sensory Education reserves the right to cancel. If IMSE must cancel, 100% of the training fee will be refunded.