IMSE Virtual Comprehensive Orton-Gillingham Training (30 hours) - Attend this training Virtually using Zoom
The Virtual Comprehensive Training provides participants with an in-depth understanding of IMSE's Orton-Gillingham methodology over the course of 30 hours. This course is a more traditional OG approach that focuses primarily on phonological awareness and phonics (along with encoding/decoding). Participants will also discuss how to teach fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension using the OG philosophy of multi-sensory, sequential, direct instruction. This approach can be incorporated into an already existing literacy program as well as stand-alone. *See note.
This course is primarily geared towards elementary-aged students and/or students who have very little knowledge of phonological awareness, phonics, basic literacy skills. This course is applicable for all three tiers of RTI.
The course is appropriate for:
- K-2 General Education Teaches as well as 3rd grade emergent readers
- Lower Elementary Special Education Teachers
- Lower Elementary Title 1 Teachers, Literacy Coaches
- Speech Language Therapists who want to expand their knowledge in literacy
- Lower Elementary English Language Learners (ELL)
- Anyone who wants to expand and enrich their knowledge in the foundation of the English language
Participants will learn:
- How to administer IMSE informal criterion-referenced assessments
- Phonological awareness assessment and strategies
- Multi-sensory strategies for reading, writing and spelling phonetic and nonphonetic words
- Seven syllable types and 4 syllable patterns for encoding/decoding
- Explicit, multi-sensory strategies for teaching fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension
- Guidelines for weekly lesson plans
Materials Provided and shipped to you by IMSE:
- IMSE Comprehensive Training and Assessment Manual
- Recipe for Reading by Bloom and Traub
- IMSE Comprehensive Syllable Division Word Book
- Phonological Awareness: Assessment Tools & Strategies by Zgonc
- IMSE Phoneme Grapheme Card Pack
- IMSE Syllable Division Cards
- IMSE Decodable Readers Set One (pdf)
- Blending Board (item shipped separately, not necessary for completing training)
- IMSE Interactive OG (online lesson planning tool) Two-year subscription (additional years will require a renewal fee)
Materials you will need:
- Computer with a camera and sound (an iPhone/iPad or similar devices are not recommended)
- Red and green crayon
- 3-4 highlighters
- Sticky notes
- Pen and notebook
- Glue, tape, or staples
Upon completing the virtual training you will receive:
- IOG for two calendar years
- Access to the IMSE Online Refresher video for one calendar year
- 30-Hour Certificate as long as all videos and Learning Outcomes are submitted
IMSE OG Weekly
- In addition to the above materials, participants who complete the training will automatically be eligible to receive OG Weekly, IMSE's email support series designed to provide continuing guidance after the completion of your training.
Notes for Virtual Trainings:
- IMPORTANT: Virtual trainings are run via Zoom. You must create a Zoom account with the email you used to register in order to access your training. You will receive an email from IMSE with important information the Thursday before your training begins. If you do not receive it, please check your spam. Please follow the directions in order to avoid a late start on the first day of training.
- If you are using a Chromebook, you must get the app for Chromebook in order to participate in polls and break out rooms. If you aren’t able to participate, you may be required to submit additional homework. If you do not have administrative access to download apps on your Chromebook, you may want to discuss with your school’s IT prior to the meeting. Here is a link: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/213298746-Getting-Started-On-Chrome-OS. Using a Chromebook for Zoom is not ideal, but manageable.
- There will be opportunities for questions with your instructor and opportunities for you to do partner work with others in the class via FaceTime, Google Hangouts, etc.
- IMSE is keeping Virtual Training class sizes small (around 30 people or less), so participants will be able to form connections with the instructor and other participants
- Since there will not be an opportunity to practice face-to-face, you will be required to submit a short 10-minute video of yourself practicing what you learned each day. You will create and share a folder on Google Driver, then upload the video to the folder each day. Daily readings and Learning Outcomes will also be submitted.
- Graduate credits (2) are available for virtual trainings through Ashland University or Adam State University
- Training supplies will be shipped directly to you. It is important that your desired shipping location is submitted at checkout.
NOTE: *Regarding the Comprehensive and Intermediate courses, participants do not have to take one before the other. Participants can simply take the course that best fits their needs. Participants can also take both courses if desired. The primary focus in the Comprehensive is Phonological Awareness, Phonics, and Encoding/Decoding. The primary focus in the Intermediate is orthography, encoding/decoding, morphology, and vocabulary. Please know that for people who choose to take both courses, encoding/decoding (which includes word/sentence dictation, 7 syllable types, 4 syllable patterns, and red words) are taught in both courses. The Intermediate focuses on how to teach these concepts to older students. Whereas the Comprehensive focuses on how to teach it to younger students. You will go over content that you may already know, but it will provide a deeper understanding for all participants.
Monday-Friday 8:00-3:30 EST
Day 1 of your training- please login by 7:00 am to ensure that you do not have any tech problems. You will be placed in a waiting room until 8:00 am.
-Your instructor will discuss how breaks and lunch will fit into your days.
-Plan on 6 hours of instruction per day, which will include your video submissions.
Register For This Course
If you cancel prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $50 cancellation fee. If you cancel 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
There is no fee for transferring your registration to another training if you transfer before 14 days prior to a training. If you transfer your training 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
If a participant needs to make up more than one day of training, there will be a $100 charge.
The Institute for Multi-Sensory Education reserves the right to cancel. If IMSE must cancel, 100% of the training fee will be refunded.