IMSE Virtual Comprehensive Orton-Gillingham Training (30 hours) - Attend this training Virtually using Zoom
The Virtual Comprehensive Training provides participants with an in-depth understanding of IMSE's Orton-Gillingham methodology over the course of 30 hours. This course is a more traditional OG approach that focuses primarily on phonological awareness and phonics (along with encoding/decoding). Participants will also discuss how to teach fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension using the OG philosophy of multi-sensory, sequential, direct instruction. This approach can be incorporated into an already existing literacy program as well as stand-alone. This course is primarily geared towards elementary-aged students and/or students with very little knowledge of phonological awareness, phonics, basic literacy skills. This course is applicable for all three tiers of RTI. *See note.
This course comes with a FULL YEAR of access to our Refresher course, available on Vitrium.
The course is appropriate for:
- K-2 General Education Teaches as well as 3rd-grade emergent readers
- Lower Elementary Special Education Teachers
- Lower Elementary Title 1 Teachers, Literacy Coaches
- Speech-Language Therapists who want to expand their knowledge in literacy
- Lower Elementary English Language Learners (ELL)
- Anyone who wants to expand and enrich their knowledge in the foundation of the English language
Participants will learn:
- How to administer IMSE informal criterion-referenced assessments
- Phonological awareness assessment and strategies
- Multi-sensory strategies for reading, writing, and spelling phonetic and nonphonetic words.
- Seven syllable types and 4 syllable patterns for encoding/decoding
- Explicit, multi-sensory strategies for teaching fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension
- Guidelines for weekly lesson plans
Materials Provided and shipped to you by IMSE:
- IMSE Comprehensive Training and Assessment Manual
- Recipe for Reading by Bloom and Traub
- IMSE Comprehensive Syllable Division Word Book
- Phonological Awareness: Assessment Tools & Strategies by Zgonc
- IMSE Phoneme Grapheme Card Pack
- IMSE Syllable Division Cards
- IMSE Decodable Readers Set One (pdf)
- Blending Board (item shipped separately, not necessary for completing training)
- IMSE Interactive OG (online lesson planning tool) Two-year subscription (additional years will require a renewal fee)
Materials you will need:
- Computer with a camera and sound (an iPhone/iPad or similar devices are not recommended)
- 2 highlighters (1 yellow)
- sticky notes
- 2-5 x 8 index cards or half sheets of 81/2 x 11 paper
Upon completing the virtual training, you will receive:
- IOG for two calendar years
- Access to the IMSE Online Refresher video for one calendar year
- 30-Hour Certificate as long as all videos and Learning Outcomes are submitted
IMSE OG Weekly
- In addition to the above materials, participants who complete the training will automatically be eligible to receive OG Weekly, IMSE's email support series designed to provide continuing guidance after completing your training.
Notes for Virtual Trainings:
- IMSE Tech support is available Monday-Friday, 9 AM - 5 PM, EST
- Virtual trainings are run via Zoom. You must create a Zoom account with the email you used to register to access your training. Once your order is paid for, you will receive an email with information to access your training via Zoom. The link to join the Zoom will also be available in your IMSE.com account under "My Trainings." Please follow the directions to avoid a late start on the first day of training.
- If you are using a Chromebook, you must get the Chromebook app to participate in polls and break out rooms. If you aren’t able to participate, you may be required to submit additional homework.
- There will be opportunities for questions with your instructor and opportunities for you to partner with others in the class via FaceTime, Google Hangouts, etc.
- Graduate credits (2) are available for virtual trainings through Ashland University.
- Training supplies will be shipped directly to you. You must submit your desired shipping location at checkout.
NOTE: *Regarding the Comprehensive and Intermediate courses, participants do not have to take one before the other. Participants can take the course that best fits their needs. Participants can also take both courses if desired. The primary focus in the Comprehensive is Phonological Awareness, Phonics, and Encoding/Decoding. The primary focus in the Intermediate is orthography, encoding/decoding, morphology, and vocabulary. Please know that encoding/decoding (which includes word/sentence dictation, 7 syllable types, 4 syllable patterns, and red words) is taught in both courses for people who choose to take both courses. The Intermediate focuses on how to teach these concepts to older students. Whereas the Comprehensive focuses on how to teach it to younger students. You will go over the content that you may already know, but it will provide a deeper understanding for all participants.
February 14-18 (Monday-Friday) & February 21-25 (Monday-Friday) 5:45 PM - 9:00 PM EST
Day 1 of your training- please login by 5:00 pm to ensure that you do not have any tech problems. You will be placed in a waiting room until 5:45 pm.
-Your instructor will discuss how breaks will fit into your days.
-Plan on 3 hours of instruction per day, which will include your video submissions.
Register For This Course
If you cancel prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $50 cancellation fee. If you cancel 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
There is no fee for transferring your registration to another training if you transfer before 14 days prior to a training. If you transfer your training 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
If a participant needs to make up more than one day of training, there will be a $100 charge.
The Institute for Multi-Sensory Education reserves the right to cancel. If IMSE must cancel, 100% of the training fee will be refunded.