IMSE's Phonological Awareness Training (12.5 Hours) - Attend this training Virtually using Zoom
The IMSE Phonological Awareness Course is a hands-on, interactive, and personalized class that provides educators with a deeper understanding of phonological awareness and its importance in learning to read. After participating in this training, teachers will understand how to assess and teach phonological awareness to students in all three tiers of RTI. In addition, teachers will evaluate students in alphabet awareness, including letter recognition and sound recognition. This training is also available for on-site staff development.
Upon completing this course, you may apply for 1 hour of graduate credit through Ashland University.
This course is appropriate for:
- All teachers who want a deeper understanding of phonological awareness, the importance of orthographic mapping, and phonemic awareness.
Teachers will learn:
- Current research and the importance of phonological awareness
- Terminologies such as orthographic mapping, orthographic lexicon, and phonemic awareness
- Correct production of the 44 sounds of the English language
- How to assess students in phonemic awareness
- How to incorporate multi-sensory strategies in activities
- How to implement one-minute phonemic awareness activities
Materials Provided and shipped:
- IMSE Phonological Awareness Manual and practice packet
- Equipped for Reading Success by Dr. David Kilpatrick
- Sounds of the English language online video
Materials you will need:
- Computer with a camera and sound (an iPhone/iPad or similar devices are not recommended)
- 3-4 highlighters
- Sticky notes
Notes for Virtual Trainings:
- IMSE Tech support is available Monday-Friday, 9 AM - 5 PM, EST
- Virtual trainings are run via Zoom. You must create a Zoom account with the email you used to register to access your training. Once your order is paid for, you will receive an email with information to access your training via Zoom. The link to join the Zoom will also be available in your IMSE.com account under "My Trainings." Please follow the directions to avoid a late start on the first day of training.
- If you are using a Chromebook, you must get the Chromebook app to participate in polls and break out rooms. If you aren’t able to participate, you may be required to submit additional homework.
- There will be opportunities for questions with your instructor and opportunities for you to partner with others in the class via FaceTime, Google Hangouts, etc.
- Training supplies will be shipped directly to you. You must submit your desired shipping location at checkout.
Thursday-Friday 8:00-3:30 EST
Day 1 of your training- please login by 7:00 am to ensure that you do not have any tech problems. You will be placed in a waiting room until 8:00 am.
-Your instructor will discuss how breaks and lunch will fit into your days.
-Plan on 6 hours and 15 minutes of instruction per day, which will include your video submissions.
Register For This Course
If you cancel prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $50 cancellation fee. If you cancel 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
There is no fee for transferring your registration to another training if you transfer before 14 days prior to a training. If you transfer your training 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $100 fee.
If a participant needs to make up more than one day of training, there will be a $100 charge.
The Institute for Multi-Sensory Education reserves the right to cancel. If IMSE must cancel, 100% of the training fee will be refunded.