The IMSE Comprehensive Orton-Gillingham Plus Course and Program is 30-hours of a hands-on, interactive, and personalized class that provides a complete understanding of IMSE’s enhanced Orton-Gillingham method, the essential five components to literacy, and the tools necessary to apply it in the classroom. After participating in this accredited Structured Literacy course, teachers will understand the structure and foundation of the English language as well as the research behind the science of reading. Educators will have a basic knowledge of how to assess and teach students in all three tiers of RTI as well as students with dyslexia. Participants will evaluate and teach students in phonological skills, phonics/word recognition, spelling, writing, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. This course includes an additional asynchronous component for fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. The Comprehensive OG Plus course is appropriate for teachers whose students are emergent and beginning readers and readers struggling in word recognition. This course also includes an asynchronous component that shares research and strategies for teaching and assessing fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. Upon completion of this course, teachers are eligible to purchase 2 graduate credits.
THE COURSE IS FOR:
General and special education teachers K-2 in addition to grades 3rd and beyond whose students require instruction in word recognition skills (e.g., phonology, decoding, spelling). This course can also be taken by any educator who wants to learn more about instruction in phonology and orthography.
- Gain knowledge of the Science of Reading and Structured Literacy.
- Gain knowledge about students with reading difficulties such as dyslexia.
- Understand how ELL students can best learn English.
- Identify and administer various types of assessments
- Implement and create structured literacy lessons.
MATERIALS / RESOURCES
- Training and Assessment Manual by the Institute for Multi-Sensory Education
- IMSE’s Comprehensive OG Plus Teacher’s Guides (K-2)
- IMSE’s Comprehensive OG Plus Spelling Teacher’s Guide (3rd Grade Plus)
- Interventions for All: Phonological Awareness by Yvette Zgonc
- Syllable Division Word Book by the Institute for Multi-Sensory Education
- Phoneme/Grapheme Card Pack by the Institute for Multi-Sensory Education
- Syllable Division Posters by the Institute for Multi-Sensory Education
- Comprehensive OG Plus Practice Packet
- Decodable Readers Sets 1-3 (PDF)
- Asynchronous Fluency, Vocabulary, Comprehension webinar with digital practice packet
- IMSE Blending Board
- Procedural Routine Flip Chart
- Access to IMSE’s Interactive OG 2.0
- Access to IMSE’s Resource Portal
MATERIALS YOU WILL NEED:
- Computer with a camera and sound (an iPhone/iPad or similar devices are not recommended)
- 2 highlighters (1 yellow)
- sticky notes
- 2-5 x 8 index cards or half sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 paper
The Comprehensive OG Plus, along with the other IMSE Impact Courses, and the IMSE Practicum will help teachers prepare to take the Center for Effective Reading Instruction (CERI) Knowledge and Practice Examination for Effective Reading Instruction (KPEERI) to obtain a Structured Literacy (SLCT) Classroom Teacher Certificate. CERI is a subsidiary of the International Dyslexia Association (IDA).
Please note that materials and shipping are included in the cost of the course.
7:45 am - 8:00 am Sign-in
8:00 am - 3:30 pm Training
- Class will begin promptly at 8:00 am
- IMSE does not provide lunch
Please bring the following:
All IMSE supplies delivered to your home or school should be brought to the training location everyday
Additional highlighter (different color)
An electronic device for research and/or note-taking
If you are traveling, you may want to bring an extra bag for supplies
Register For This Course
Cancellation, No-Show, Make-Up And Transfer Policies:
Cancellations and no shows: If you cancel 15 days or more prior to the start date of your training, you must return any course materials in good condition and you or your district will be charged a $100 cancellation fee. If you cancel 14 days or less prior to the start date of your training, you will be charged a $200 fee plus the cost of return shipment for your materials. If you are a no show for your training once the training has started, your voucher is considered used and will not be refunded. If you do not show for your scheduled training once the training has started, but wish to move to another training date, you will be charged a $400 fee.
Transfers: If you need to transfer your registration to a later training date, IMSE is happy to do that 15 days or more prior to the start date of your original training. Within 14 days of the original training start date,the fee to transfer is $100. If you wish to transfer on the original start date of your training, or later, this is considered a no show and you will be charged $400. If you need to transfer between training course types, you will also be responsible for the cost of return shipment for your original course materials.
Make up days: If a participant needs to make up a day of training, there will be a $100 fee. Additional days will be $150.
The Institute for Multi-Sensory Education reserves the right to cancel. If IMSE must cancel, 100% of the training fee will be refunded.